[pct-l] Gear question?

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 17:56:12 CDT 2010

It may well be that the comments are actually directed towards avoiding
buyer's remorse when the less informed/experienced hits the trail with newly
purchased, and usually quite expensive gear.

My own experience resulted from an an epiphany just before my 50th birthday
that a life goal was to hike the PCT.  Up to that point, who knew?  I was
limited to section hiking for years thereafter, but my in itial gear
purchases were informed by my past hiking in the '60's, 70's and 80's, the
latter decade when I attempted to go light with what was available at the
time.  I found myself hiking from Echo to Toulumne Meadows with the last
external frame backpack on REI's wall of packs, a Lelty that must have
weighed 7 pounds, my old Flashlight tent, a full size Thermarest, a Cats
Meow bag...well, you get the idea.  I had a condo on my back and was
carrying over 50 pounds.  When I got to Toulumne Meadows I felt and was in
great shape, but for a couple of thousand miles?  A reciepe for injury.

Each hike thereafter resulted in changes in my gear...as Miner has noted;
not only must you be informed as to the gear available, but you have to feel
comfortable in relying on it as being sufficient. After weight, the volume
of the gear becomes important as does it efficiency.   Thus, it is
discovered that niche products from internet or producers that avoid large
retailers are preferable.

I had the financial wherewithal to buy and refine my gear with a resulting
gear locker that allowed my to outfit two of my daughters as well this
summer.  Not everyone is that fortunate.  It is natural to want to pass on
the benefit of one's experience in hopes others can avoid having to go
through the same (expensive) process.  With that said, everyone has to make
their own choices.  It's just that if you go to REI and turn yourself over
to them, you may encounter a gear intervention at kick-off.  This year,
there were plenty of hikers who showed up with 50 pound packs, took a look
around, and asked for advice.  It's tough if you've already bought you're
gear and you're sitting at Lake Morena.