[pct-l] Exit to East from KM

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 19:00:14 CDT 2010

TheDuck,

Don't let the guidebooks scare you.  I'm an old guy (63) and left KM on 3 July.  I went into Lone Pine at Horseshoe Meadows for res upply, not because of too muc h snow.  However, i f you do h appen  to find too much snow for your comfort level,  Lone Pine via Horseshoe Meadow would be a good bailout place - p robably the first and safest.

North of HM you get to Forester Pass before you get to another easy bailout route, as far as I know.  If you have fairly decent snow skills and the right gear, the Sierra should not be a barrier, even with heavy snow pack.  My advice is to make sure you are hooked up with other hikers who pledge to stay together and look out for each other through the Sierra, es p. from Lone Pine to Sonora or Echo Pass.  You'll have 700 miles before you get to KM to find out which other hikers you can rely.

Good luck,

Mango