[pct-l] Gear question?

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Fri Sep 3 19:41:13 CDT 2010

Many of the items preferred are outside the mainstream gear choices, but name brands are not shunned because they are named brands.

Marmot is very popular for some items
MSR is popular for the Pocket Rocket
Jetboil is a pretty "name brand" and is very popular
Thermarest is the pad of choice this past year
Big Agnes pads and tents are not uncommon
MontBell is not unheard of (just hard to size and get at times)
Patagonia is popular for those with a few extra bucks
SmartWool is VERY popular, or are they not "brand" enough?
Leki is popular

Some of the boutique items may _seem_ more prevalent to you, but that might just be that they are discussed more or that they stand out in discussion because you are unfamiliar with them.

BillB