[pct-l] differentiation by weight only

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Sep 3 21:01:35 CDT 2010

On 9/3/2010 7:12 PM, ned at mountaineducation.org wrote:
> Do PCT hikers choose their gear based on weight only as Scott
> implies?

I did not imply that.

>> If you could choose between a 7 pound name brand backpack, and a 2
>> pound cottage industry backpack

Did you miss this part...?

>> that is designed for long distance backpacking,

That does not mean choosing gear by weight only. It means that one does
not need to carry a heavy load to be properly equipped for a PCT hike.

Heavier isn't always better. Here we go...

> --was uncomfortable (thinking packs, pads)

ULA packs are not uncomfortable. I can't speak for the other brands, but
the less weight you carry, the less structure it takes to make a pack
comfortable. my ULA pack is more comfortable than my Jansport D series
pack, and weighs 5 lb less. Given the choice, I will gladly give up the
unneeded 5 lbs for increased comfort.

> --fell apart too soon requiring frequent replacement (thinking
> clothing or shoes)

Or you could go with one pair of boots that will last the whole trail,
but are so stiff and heavy that you cannot walk normally in them.

> --historically caught tables and forests on fire (thinking alcohol
> stoves)

While this may be a weakness of alcohol stoves, I would suggest that it
has more to do with the mis-use of the stove. If you are going to try to
use an alcohol stove in forest duff in a strong wind when it hasn't
rained for weeks, you are asking for trouble.

Did you miss the part where I pointed out that alcohol stoves are more
reliable (no moving parts) and that alcohol is the most available stove
fuel on the trail? It is not just about weight.

I also would not say that alcohol is the best for everybody. If you have
a committed partner (say, a husband and wife hiking together) a butane
canister stove might be a better option.

> --didn't keep me warm enough on enough nights (sleeping bags)

Western Mountaineering, Marmot and Feathered Friends all make
lightweight bags that are plenty warm enough for a PCT through hike.

> --was difficult to use, comparatively (small-mouthed plastic soda
> bottles as canteens)

The mouth on my Gatorade bottle is wider than the mouth on a standard
canteen, and presents not problem when compared to a Nalgene bottle that
costs 10 times as much.

> --or was unsafe (twist-locked hiking poles)

Twist lock hiking poles are unsafe?

People have been trying to explain to you that lighter doesn't
necessarily mean il-equipped.

As average base weights drop, a higher and higher percentage of PCT
hopefuls are completing the trail. Doesn't that tell you something?

And FWIW, when it came to water treatment, I went with the heavier
option of a filter over chemical treatment. I also carried a 1 3/4 lb
camera (including the weight of the case and extra batteries) when much
lighter options were available. For me it was worth carrying the extra
weight to get clearer pictures. I used a ULA pack when there were
lighter alternatives available from Gossamer Gear.

I had a base weight of 16 lbs, which is considered heavy by today's
ultra light standards. I could have made gear choices that would have
easily cut 2, 3 or more pounds off of that base weight. It isn't about
weight only.