[pct-l] What do you think?

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sun Sep 5 22:51:15 CDT 2010

There was a time when I would have preferred to have no trails in the
wilderness, having us instead explore find our own way. I spend more time on
trail now, but back then found almost anywhere I wanted to go off trail I
still found a sense of a trail leading there.

As for signs, I don't trust them anyway. They fall down, burn down, get
turned around. I saw one this year clearly pointing the wrong way in Section
P (sorry, can't remember where). I tried to reorient it, but couldn't budge
it without a bit of work, and it appeared the herd's footprints had found
the correct way anyway.

Some years back the USFS removed the toilets on the Mt Whitney Trail,
instead requiring users to pack it ALL out. They gave various reasons, but I
still disagree with their decision, because more than a few don't bother,
pooping in their bags and then leaving the bags behind. As Miner said,
sometimes more use helps preserve more wilderness, and that particular trail
gets a lot of use by backpackers who will never backpack again, they just
want to do Whitney. I'd prefer to see that trail (only) managed to
accommodate a larger use to educate the masses on the need to preserve
wilderness.

AsABat