[pct-l] Wearing out of gear

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Sep 7 13:27:52 CDT 2010

I guess what I have to realize is that hikers prefer to leave the trail often for resupply, good food in town, laundry, fun with new trail friends doing the same, and the replacement of shoes, pads, and whatever else wears out along the trail.

In describing all of his preference differences, Miner makes another good point, which illustrates this "style" differences between us. I don't like leaving the trail and adding miles by going out and back often. I don't like the idea of descending thousands of feet empty and having to ascend it again heavily resupplied. It also feels too much like "back-tracking" and I really don't like having to hike the same piece of trail more than once. I have had near-death experiences while hitch-hiking with drunk or stoned drivers, so we're not advocates of hitching which is often needed to go from trailheads to town. (Yogi-ing a ride from the parking lot trailhead might make the selection process better and safer--but what are you to do when trailheads are full of snow, closed, and you have to road walk to another that has traffic?)

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150