[pct-l] thru-hiking with Celiacs

Rachel Dysart rachel_dysart at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 19:50:48 CDT 2010

Hello List,

I have Celiacs which means I'm gluten intolerant and the smallest amount can
make me very ill.  I was curious if there is anyone on this list who has
thru-hiked the PCT with similar issues that made eating a challenge.  For small
trips I'm able to eat the fresh foods that I'm use to.  Because most
pre-packaged foods are contaminated with gluten I think I'm going to be putting
together my own dehydrated meals.  I've always read of thru-hiker town food
binges with great envy because I don't think that will be much of an option for
me since I would hate to get sick on the trail.  If you've done the trail or
have experience with similar issues I would love to hear your words of wisdom.
 Thanks!

Cheers,
Rachel