[pct-l] Who eats what on the trail??

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Wed Sep 8 13:05:21 CDT 2010

This question starts with the following comment:

> For good food you may want to make your own and dehydrate it. Read Linda
> Yaffe's book "backpacking gourmet" on trail food recipies.
> use a good dehydrator like the Excaliber (check Graig's list). Use a
> Vacuum sealing system. You will be amazed how good the food is and you
> control what is in it.

On the trail, I've been eating mostly finger foods, cliffbars and Mountain
House dehydrated, bought in #10 cans...  but I must admit, they are getting
"old", ie, eating has become something one does, not looks forward to. My
question is: how many people are making their own trail foods (dehydrated,
and/or, vacuum sealed)? And are there creations of your own that you'd kill
for..  maybe too strong a word...  that if you didn't have along, the trip
would be diminished (this also seems like an opportunity to add variety to a
long walk)? What type of meals are people putting together (I'm thinking
mostly dinners here)? In trail journals one sees lots of peanutbutter and
tortillas...  I'm not sure that's any better than MH fd Spaghetti (though it
does save cooking)...
many thanks - TheDuck