[pct-l] Who eats what on the trail??

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 22:18:17 CDT 2010

Before you vaccum pack them add a paper towel around the inside of the
vacuum bag.  This will stop (mostly) the sharp food from puncturing the
bags.

Also,  I highly recommend Dicentra's book.  She has tons of recipes that you
can make at home that do not require a dehydrator.  I do both dehydrated and
just throw together ingredients (alla Decentra's book) and find both work
really well.

I try not to pre buy things such as bars or boxed items like mac and cheese
as these are always available and easy to get sick of.

I can't eat Freeze Dried stuff more than a day or two without being sick of
it - the meals I make myself are much better.

Also check out the book  "Lip Smackin Backpacking" for ideas.  Your Library
may have it.

Some of my favorites:

 Seafood stew:

1/2 c instant mashed potatoes
1/2 c milk powder
1 tbs butter buds
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
a dash Celery Seed
1 or 2 3 oz pouches of seafood (crab, shrimp, oysters, etc)

Boil 2 C water.  Add everything.  let sit in pot cozy 10-20 minutes.

Tortilinni w/ pesto:

Dryed Tortilini
Dry Pesto Mix
Pine Nuts
Olive Oil

For Breakfast try:

Dicentra's Golden Bugler   http://www.onepanwonders.com/breakfasts.htm

No need to cook this just mix in ziplock and let sit in pack for 30-45
minutes as you hike then stop and enjoy.
Nice crunchy flavor.

Day-Late