[pct-l] Thru hike pack suggestions?

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:11:34 CDT 2010

I agree with Jeff completely.  As an obsessive ultra-lighter I sometimes
forget that there exist people that aren't "gram-weenies" like me.  :)
I wouldn't recommend the Golite Breeze or RayWay pack if you plan on
carrying more than 30 lbs on a regular basis.  In my experience, it can
handle up to 40 lbs without breaking the pack... but it will be
uncomfortable.  On one section (the JMT) I used a front-pack to carry extra
food... mostly because I was too cheap to resupply at Muir Ranch.
Also, just for comfort, I always carried my water in platypus bag inside a
lightweight hip-pack.  I run a drinking tube from there up to my shoulder.
It's very comfortable for me and is yet another way I can keep a few more
pounds off my shoulders while I hike.  :)
--
Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com
Info on PCT gear, resupply points, maps, movies, etc.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
-John Wayne