[pct-l] Thru hike pack suggestions?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Sep 14 12:09:44 CDT 2010

On 9/13/2010 6:05 PM, Julia Marsh wrote:
> I'm thru-hiking the PCT next spring and I've been researching lighter
> weight packs - thinking about the ULA Catalyst or the Granite Gear
> Nimbus Ozone. I've also heard good things about Golite Jam, Six Moon
> Designs Starlite. Anyone have experience with these packs? Other
> suggestions I should check out? Thanks.

A lot depends on how much you plan to carry. ULA makes great packs, but
the catalyst may be a smidge larger than you need. Consider the Circuit,
especially if your base weight is below 16 pounds.

If you have a rough idea what your base weight might be, we can make a
better recommendation. The usual recommendation is to buy your other
gear first, and buy a pack that everything fits in last, taking into
consideration the bear can you will have to carry in the Sierra.