[pct-l] Platypus Content

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Tue Sep 14 16:21:28 CDT 2010

I have long sought a way to determine how much water is left in the platy too. The best I can come up with is to put 2 liters in my 3 liter platy and fold it in half placing it up high in my pack. Then I drink from the tube until the water slows down, then drop the pack, open the top and unfold the bag. Usually there is a little bit less than a liter left.
The other trick I used was to fill the Platy with a liter or more, depending on the distance to the next water, and top off my 1 liter Aqua Fina bottle. I always saved the bottle for last allowing myself to drink as much and as frequently as wanted from the Platy. When the bag went dry I always knew I had that 1 liter bottle or about 7 miles before I would need to find water.
This year on the CDT I discovered that I could go much further than I imagined without a drink. I actually covered an 18 mile stretch without water. It was not very comfortable but it is possible. That cow poop water after the dry spell sure tasted good!
Anyhow the best I could come up with was the "fold the waterbag" and "liter in reserve" gimmicks.
-Iceaxe

Sent on the go from my Peek