[pct-l] Weight loss on a thru hike?

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 20:48:47 CDT 2010

Dear PCT,

Hiking is an excellent weight management system.

I have always had a very robust appetite and like to eat large food
portions.  I eat large portions of very healthy lean, whole grain food with
no sugar and only fruit for dessert but I still tend to gain about 10 lbs
during the winter (It's the large food portion sizes!).  Hiking all day
tends to depress my appetite and I can only carry so much food.  I carry a
carefully planned, well balanced diet complete with all the protein,
calcium, vitamins and nutrition I need with about 2700 kcals.  I do not even
need a vitamin pill as I am nutritionally complete.  On a 10-12 day hike,
doing about 20 miles and maybe 5,000 ft. of climbing in a day I will lose
about 5-8 lbs.  I'm 5'8" weigh around 150lbs.  At the end of the winter I
can get as high as 155lbs and during the summer I usually get down to
145lbs, of course then I rinse and repeat the process year after year.  When
I retire at 55 years (safety and security jobs are great!) I want to do the
entire PCT and see how low I can go with my weight.

Melanie