[pct-l] Lost GPS in Section R

Don Billings dbillings803 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 09:33:56 CDT 2010

Bad news on the lost gps.

Was it labeled with your contact label as per
the recent posting discussion?

Side note: I met a section hiker man who lost his SPOT device on the trail once.

As luck would have it, he had subscribed to the auto transmission function
and it continued to broadcast. So, he contacted his sister who was
online and who could view his account. She directed him to where
it was broadcasting from which was a ranger station about 40 miles
from his last hike location. He drove there and requested it from
the employee who didn't know what it was and who had put it on
her office window sill.

Turned out that an HONEST hiker turned it in to the ranger, but
she didn't post any signage about "found" electronics & just drove
back to her station with it. (what good would that have done?)

It could have been a bomb for all she knew since the little red
light was blinking the entire time which was about four hours.

Don