[pct-l] If not alcohol (stove), then what?

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 13:13:03 CDT 2010

That's a very good point.  I never actually use my esbit for "real"
cooking.  I just use it to simmer water, which I then add to my
dehydrated/freeze-dried food.

For "real cooking" I might try one of those wood burning stoves.  I've seen
a few hikers on the PCT use them.  They say they never have a hard time
finding enough dry sticks to use - even when it rains (probably near the
base of tree where stuff doesn't get as wet).  Might be worth a try.  I
kinda like the idea.

Other than esbit, alcohol, and wood... I can't think of any other kinds of
fuel that don't require a canister.

--
Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com
Info on PCT gear, resupply points, maps, movies, etc.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
-John Wayne