[pct-l] Advice on Gear List

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Sep 15 15:43:18 CDT 2010

Good afternoon, JiffyPop,

My frame-of-reference is an approximate 8-pound base-weight.  I agree with
all that Piper wrote, and will add some comments:

Headlamp  -- I carry 2 Photon Freedom pinch-lights (.25 oz. each) – 2 only
in case I lose one.  They are much lighter than a headlamp, and I’ve never
needed to see anything out of their range of light.  Yes, I can – and have –
easily hiked at night with one of them.

Tripod – 5.5 oz. seems heavy, and I didn’t even see a camera listed.  I
carry a camera but not a tripod.

First-aid kit and repair kits – 6 oz. seems heavy.  I’ve about an ounce for
both of them.

iPod – I don’t carry such a thing -- or a Blackberry -- and I don’t even
know what a “bumpad” is.

Stove – I don’t carry one.

Tent -- I don’t carry one, just a 10-12 oz. tarp/poncho.

Therm-A-Rest – I use a 7 oz. foam pad and sleep very well.

Pillowcase – I use my clothing stuff-sack.

Pack – I use a 13 oz. GoLite Breeze.

Underwear – I don’t wear them or carry extra. I wear athletic shorts that
have built-in jock liners.

PreCip jacket and rain pants – Other than late-season in Washington I only
carry my poncho/shelter combination.

Warmth layers – I carry only a medium-weight fleece pull-over and a 3 oz.
windshirt, with no long pants of any kind.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09