[pct-l] Advice on Gear List

Jim & Brenda Johnson jdjohnson at accesscomm.ca
Wed Sep 15 22:23:34 CDT 2010

  I appreciate the comments & suggestions thus far.
Hopefully more hikers will chime in.

I realize that the biggest weight savings is in the "Big 3",
the sleeping bag/tent/pack. Friends and I have two of the
Six Moons Design Lunar Duos, which we love. The Solo is
no exception. I've had my Catalyst pack for several years
now, and on several multi-day hikes, and while it's "big" to
some people, it is just right for me. With a multi-day load
of 25-30 pounds (including food & water) it's certainly
comfortable and stable, and carries well. To go with some
of the mentioned packs in this thread talks of ultra-lighting,
something I'm not comfortable getting into (but I applaud
those of you who have). And the sleeping bag,
well, let's just say sleep is important to this growly old bear.
Same thing with the NeoAir, it gives the best sleep I've ever
had on the trail. Yeah, I have to huff and puff to fill the thing,
but like a guy on one of the PCT videos says ... "I've got to
breathe anyway". I've tried damn near everything else out there,
and it's the answer for me (the NeoAir, not the breathing;
well, okay, I guess breathing helps too).

That all said, please post more comments/suggestions/ideas.
I appreciate them, have already amended my Excel gearlist,
and hopefully others are learning from all of the comments.

Cheers,
jiffypop