[pct-l] Downhill sections nobo vs sobo

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Thu Sep 16 13:38:59 CDT 2010

Sobo is always easier as it's downhill - just look at any globe.

If you are sectioning, just comparing elevations at each end tells you which way has more downhill. But some mapwork might reveal a steeper grade one way or the other.

Dayhiking/slackpacking you could do most of the trail downhill by starting at passes and ending at lower trailheads. This has special appeal during hot days on exposed trail.

The JMT ultimately has more downhill going nobo, as the start at Whitney Portal is higher than Yosemite Valley. However, many prefer sobo as you have more time to acclimatize (and you avoid the Whitney permit lottery).

AsAbat
AsABat