[pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Sat Sep 18 11:49:04 CDT 2010

> Message: 10
> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:52:40 +0200
> From: Joel Fisler <pct at fisler.ch>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal
> To: PCT listserve <pct-l at backcountry.net>
>
> I totally disagree with the two postings.
>
> First of all, if you crash all the time and break your bones then you
> might be better off hiking. But making this a general rule for everyone is
> wrong. Furthermore you are confusing mountain biking with road cycling.
> Mountain biking on a paved road does not make sense at all. I am a
> mountain biker and I try to avoid roads (even fire roads) as much as I can
> because for me the nice thing about mountain biking is that I can be AWAY
> from roads and cars and everything.
>
> Second: Personally I would love to do the PCT with the bike. Its an ideal
> trail, its usually not too steep, wide enough and smooth for bikes and you
> could bike for weeks and weeks. I am totally for that. In fact, I dont
> understand why in the US so many trails are off-limits for mountain bikes.
> In Europe you are usually allowed to bike on all the trails e.g. in the
> Alps. Using common sense (dont pass hikers with 20mph, be courteous etc.)
> avoids conflicts with hikers and I personally never had any problems or
> arguments with hikers. Why the need for all those regulations? Isnt the US
> all about freedom and non-regulation? Why having trails for horses or
> hikers only, for bikers, for people with dogs etc. Why not allow everyone
> use the trails?
>
> Anyway, thanks for the link, I'll try to promote it where I can :-)
>
> Bye
> Joel

Anyone have a link to any organization in Switzerland that is actively
trying to remove mtn bikers from the trails, and return them to their
original use? I'd like to make a significant contribution.  And Joel, I
assume you'd have zero objection to my doing such (an American trying to
determinte/influence how Switzerland is run), right? What you seem to be
missing, or lacking, is what's called manners, aka appropriate behavior. On
the otherhand, maybe this post is by another clueless troll.

TheDuck