[pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 18:21:58 CDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Bob Bankhead <wandering_bob at comcast.net> wrote:

> Also, bikes must yield to hikers just as we must yield to horses.

What constitutes 'yielding' when a biker comes up behind you? I'd
really like to know.  Most bikers seem to have bells that they ring
when they get close enough behind you to get you to jump, out of
surprise, off the trail.  As for head-on meetings, well I'm not
willing to play chicken, so I get off the trail when I see a biker
coming.  No biker ever beat me to it.  NOT ONCE on the CT did a biker
yield (assuming 'yield' = pull over and wait until I went by).  That
is, until the very last mile.  The guy pulled over and stopped.  I was
stunned.

Yes, they are certainly all nice people.

Same experience on the TRT.