[pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Sep 20 08:49:08 CDT 2010

A few years ago, my friend was hit by a bicyclist on a trail. It was
not in the wilderness. She decided something had to be done to make
the trails safer. Word got out among the mountain bikers that she was
doing something about them. Someone posted her name, address and
telephone number on the internet, offering that she lived alone and
suggesting maybe someone should visit her some evening with a
baseball bat.

Later, someone else I know got involved in trying to make the trails
safer and word got out among the mountain bikers. He received emails
filled with profanity from a school server in Canada. Unsure why kids
in Canada cared about riding bicycles on Santa Barbara trails. He
wrote the school to tell them that these emails didn't reflect well
on their school. The children got in trouble.

Things escalated in our community. It became very tense to go for a
hike. Even though many were polite, many were not. I was on one hike
where Australian mountain bikers purposefully tried to run an 80 year
old man off the trail. I was on another where bikers purposefully
tried to run me off the trail. I yelled at them and they waited for
me at the bottom to curse me out and presumably to beat me up. I'm a
woman and they were big men. I was on another hike where my boyfriend
stuck out his trekking poles to avoid being run over. This caused a
huge fuss with letters to the editor and nastiness and vitriol all
around.

I went on a volunteer trail clearing day. The mountain bikers show up
in force on these. They keep meticulous records of their work so that
they can claim that the trails belong to them because they do more
work than anybody else. I did a lot of work that day and when it was
pretty obvious there was no more to be done, I started returning to
the top to put my tools away. One of the mountain bikers taunted me
that I was "quitting so soon." I decided to screw doing any trail
work with these people. They are mean-spirited to the core.

After the emails and the threat to my female friend and them
threatening me, I decided to have nothing more to do with the issue.
I stopped hiking on trails that were the most popular with cyclists.
I disallowed any posts on my own web site that were not from Santa
Barbara, that contained nastiness and misspellings and were on the
topic of mountain biking. My boyfriend continued to go to local
meetings of a "working group" that tried to resolve the issue. I
stayed out of it as much as I could.

I do hope supporting the PCT doesn't turn out like this. I would urge
people not to suggest slashing tires or booby-trapping the trail or
otherwise causing mayhem. It will only make things worse.