[pct-l] PCT Brushing - Saturday September 25th, Snoqualme Pass area

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 11:16:54 CDT 2010

Contact me off list if you're interested.

Once again, we'll be trying to put together a crew to continue clearing the PCT
south of Stampede Pass for this coming Saturday, September 25th.  (Also note,
the next planned trip, weather permitting, will be for Sunday October 3rd -
pencil that in if you can't make this coming Saturday).  No experience is
necessary and tools and hard hats are provided.

Tenative meeting time:  8:30am.  We'll call it a day and start hiking out about
2:30 or 3:00, or earlier if the weather is really nasty.

Tenative meeting location:  About 1/2 mile off of I-90, toward Stampede Pass,
from Exit 62, at the paved turn off to the Stampede Pass Sand and Gravel pit.
From there, we would convoy about 20-30 minutes to the work zone.  The hike in
is only a few minutes.  If there is only one vehicle of folks, we could also
meet at the North Bend Ranger Station and car pool from there.

Exact details on time and location TBD depending on everyones needs.  More
information to follow to those that are interested.

What the work is:  We'll cut back badly encroaching brush.  With a crew size of
3, we'll fire up the PCTAs brush saw.  If there are more, additional folks will
work with loppers.  Everyone who wants a shot at running the brush saw (and
feels comfortable running it) is welcome to give it a go.  Those who will be
working with loppers - don't feel like you're not contributing either.  2 of us
on Saturday cleared 150' of trail to a width of 10' with loppers, so each extra
person makes a huge difference in the amount of trail we can clear in a day.
We'll also do light tread maintenance as time allows - scraping organic matter
off the tread and doing light drainage clearing and maintenance.

What you'll need to bring:  First, a commitment to working safely.  After that,
long sleeves and pants, boots (no running shoes / sandals / crocks / tevas) and
your favorite work gloves are THE trail work fashion (and requirement - although
there are loaner gloves available).  You'll also want other weather appropriate
clothing (rain gear, a warm layer, etc), a day pack with water, snacks and
lunch.

Hope to see you out there.

Barry / TC
PCT:  Mex - Can