[pct-l] Platypus Content

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 20:41:49 CDT 2010

Strider:

If your platy is vertical in your pack, when you want to check the level you
could hold the hose up high and slide the bite valve off. Then lower it
until it starts spouting, or simply observe the level in the tube. Paint
some calibration marks on your shoulder strap, and take the reading there.
No added weight, and no contortion necessary. (HT to Archimedes for the
idea.)

Unfortunately, this method doesn't work in my pack, because my platy rides
horizontally near the top. Whenever I remove the bite valve--intentionally
or otherwise--I get drenched, which isn't all bad. The other thing that
might defeat this method is if you fill your pack really tightly, thereby
applying pressure to the platy. Maybe consider a hard-sided bladder, such as
a 2-liter soda bottle; weight is comparable.

Cheers,
Kelty