[pct-l] Fw: Bicycle Usage Proposal

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 11:21:11 CDT 2010

I can't resist any longer. I was in the Mt Rose Wilderness area of the Tahoe Rim Trail two years ago and saw a motorcyclist on the trail. I wasn't close enough to shout, not that he would have heard me due to the loud sound of the motor. This year on the TRT I also saw bike tires in that wilderness area and even over on the PCT from its junction with the TRT up through Echo Lake trail head.  In the first 7 days on the trail, exactly 3 bike riders pulled off to let me pass. They were friendly and I was very pleased to chat with them. The other 100-150 bike riders I encountered didn't stop and on one occasion I was nearly knocked off a boulder I had hopped onto to avoid being run over. That individual didn't even have the grace to say he was sorry. Sad to say, I won't be back to do that hike again... it is too un-nerving and I don't go out there to be anxious for my safety. I can go hang out in a city for that.