[pct-l] We need you

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 13:03:00 CDT 2010

I hear you Hacker.  What has been cut so far was some of the worst.  It's just
that its so consistently bad in that area.....Tahoma's statement is understood
as a legitimate frustration at the poor condition of this part of the trail (at
least, poor in relation to what it SHOULD be if it were up to proper National
Scenic Trails maintenance standard).  I'd acribe the window dressing statement
to the fact that it IS so cruddy in this section for so many miles, especially
compared to other parts of the trail.  Add to that, the part that has
been cleared, is in fact only a tiny fraction of what needs to be brushed, and
it's easy to see where his frustration came from.   And it doesn't help that it
is often raining when the thru hikers come through this section in September,
which he got in full force.  It's a crappy combination that I've suffered
through many times, so I know exactly where he's coming from.

You're spot on Hacker - 'tis a labor of love doing trail work.  But that said,
it IS satisfying to look back at the end of the day and see what was once over
grown, is clear.  Or what was once a rocky ditch, is now smooth tread.  Or what
was once a bermed, sloughed tread, ripe to channel water into a slimy stream of
a trail, is now properly outsloped, scraped down to mineral soil and well
drained.  There was a section of trail between Agua Dulce and Mojave that had
just been maintained back in '06 during my thru - it was a thing of beauty.  The
tread was perfectly smooth,  clean bare mineral soil, perfectly outsloped.  Dang
it was a pleasure to walk on.  It was so nice, I took a picture.  In my mind,
the whole trail, or at least as much as is practical, should be that way.

I hope all who can, choose to come on out and do something about it.  There is a
pair of loppers and a helmet waiting for anyone willing to pick them up (we'll
hand out McLeod's and Pulaski's later - LOL).

I still need 2 volunteers for this coming Saturday the 25th (Snoqualmie Pass,
WA area).  With 3 people, the brush saw can be brought out and another 400 to
600 feet can be cleared.  Everyone who wants to, gets a crack at operating the
saw - power tools rule.  There has been zero interest so far.  Weather is
supposed to be good - no rain, mid 60's.  Plenty of huckleberries to eat (right
before you cut 'em down and toss 'em off the trail).  The only thing that is
needed to start fixing this part of the trail is labor - the PCTA has provided
the tools and organization, the Forest Service has provided the direction.  The
only thing that is missing is you, the volunteer.

Contact me off list ASAP if you can help.

Barry
aka
Token Civilian

\