[pct-l] Bear Canisters

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Thu Sep 23 18:36:23 CDT 2010

My experience was that one bear can was sufficient, so long as you carry foods that can be compacted by pressing down firmly with both hands.  For the first day, you can carry any excess food outside the can while you hike.  At supper, eat the bulkiest things first.  After a day or so it'll all fit.

I'm sure a homemade canister that is bear-proof is possible, but it would probably be very heavy.  The commercial ones use high-dollar materials that most of us don't have access to.  By the way, there's a loaner / rental program for canisters if you don't want to buy one.

Mango