[pct-l] ALOHA.....from Hawaii

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Sep 25 18:46:07 CDT 2010

To my hard core hiking buddies.....

Hi gang,
JMT Reinhold wishing you all  "Aloha"  from Hawaii.
Just in case you guys did not know this, they have some great mountains
in Hawaii....taller than the Sierra, taller than the Rockies, taller
than Mt. Everest.
Yes, the tallest mountains in the world right here in Hawaii and JMT
Reinhold climbed them all....more on that later.

Every once in a while somebody comes up with the idea of living off the
land while backpacking.
If that is possible, I can't think of a better place than Hawaii to put
this to the test.
Take Kauai for instance.....Coconut palm trees, guavas, papayas, bananas
and all kind of fruits growing wild all over the place.
And chickens everywhere...in the parks, in the cities, on the sidewalks,
on the streets,...they are everywhere.
I have even seen them in Weimea Canyon ( the Grand Canyon of the
Pacific)....yup, they are everywhere.

A while back somebody came up with an interesting revolutionary UL
"chickens on a leash"  hiking method.
There is no better place than Kauai to put this  "chickens on a leash"
method to the test.....chickens are everywhere.
Unlike the PCT, where you would need at least one rooster in your flock
to insure reproduction so you don't run out of chickens before you get
to Canada, in Kauai you simply grab a few more chickens, put them on
your leash and hike on.

FOOD THAT WALKS......THIS IS DYNAMITE.....just think how light our packs
will be.
I am so excited about this....I might go for another JMT record attempt.
With "chickens on a leash" I might even go after Scott & Adam's PCT
record or Brian's Barkley Marathon record.

JMT Reinhold
Your excited trail companion