[pct-l] We need you

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Sep 26 18:57:53 CDT 2010

On Sep 23, 2010, at 4:09 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I hear you Hacker.? What?has been?cut so far was some of the
> worst.? It's just
> that its so consistently bad in that area.....Tahoma's statement is
> understood
> as a legitimate frustration at the poor?condition of this part of
> the trail (at
> least, poor in relation to what it SHOULD be if it were up to
> proper National
> Scenic Trails maintenance standard).?
> I still need 2?volunteers for this coming Saturday the 25th
> (Snoqualmie Pass,
> WA?area).

Every time I read about this call for volunteers I feel bad I cannot
go up and help. It's just too far away for me.

I remember this section of trail as being just awful. I pushed my way
through head-high wet plants for days and days. I was never so
miserable. The wet leaves never stopped. I couldn't stay dry. It was
like wading up to your eyeballs. The only part of me that stayed dry
was the top of my head, the only spot on my body my umbrella could
keep try. I could barely even see the trail at all. I was so
frustrated I actually stopped in the middle of the brush completely
unable to see the trail or the sky or anything and just yelled at the
top of my lungs "F* YOU!" I wished it had helped but it didn't help
at all.

So you guys cutting that stuff up there during rainy season, you are
my heros. Thank you for doing the work. Even if it barely makes a
dent, it does mean something. (Who could make a dent in that stuff
anyway? It looked like, with all that rain and fecundity of the soil,
that brush could grow a foot a day around there.)