[pct-l] Bear Canisters

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu Sep 30 20:42:33 CDT 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:18:13 +0000
> From: dan kayser <yoyodadio at msn.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Bear Canisters
> To: PCT <pct-l at backcountry.net>
>

> I am planning my 2011 thru hike and I am wondering what is the best method
> for traveling through areas requiring bear canisters.  1) Buy from
> BearVault then send home when finished 2) Rent a bear canister 3) Do with
> out.  I would prefer to avoid using a bear canister if at all possible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Option 1.b - buy a used one on eBay for $65ish, ship it in a resupply box to
where it's going to be first used, use it where required, send it home where
nolonger required/needed, than sell it again on eBay for $65. I got mine
(BV500) on eBay for $65, used...  though don't plan on selling it back...
will just keep reusing it, since the bear country is my nominal stomping
grounds.
TheDuck