[pct-l] Food/money

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 19:12:58 CDT 2011

Just a heads up.  And I don't want to be negative but...  It will be very
difficult to complete the PCT on the budget you have proposed.

I would have a contingency plan for what to do if I ran out of money.

Also it will be even harder to "keep resonable nutrition" with this much
money.

I suspect you might be able to ship yourself low cost foods for the whole
trip, but the amount of planning and work required to do this is
substantail.  And unless you have a lot of experiance doing this (which I
gather you don't) you will most likely find whatever you send yourself will
become uneatable after a few months, not because the food goes bad but
because your bodies will be sick of it.  Most people that do full resupplies
for the first time have this issue.

If you are heading NOBO I would just buy as I go as you probably don't have
enough time to get everything together to cheaply resupply a whole
thru-hike.

FWIW, I could not do the PCT on $700 for food and think only a very few
people could.  And those that could would probably be experianced thru
hikers that have practiced stretching thier dollars on the trail.

Trust me when I say you have no idea how much food you will be eating after
completing 1000 miles of hiking and how difficult it will be to restrain
yourself from splurging on food when you hit a town being that hungry.

Day-Late (who has seen way too may folks drop off the trail for reasons of
money)