[pct-l] Food/money

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Apr 2 22:54:04 CDT 2011

Can you play a musical instrument? If you can play something small,
like a ukulele, you might be able to make a little extra cash once in
a while. Perhaps in South Lake Tahoe or Bend.

You may be able to earn some extra eating if you work at some places.
My friend worked at Muir Trail Ranch in exchange for food. I don't
know if there are any other work opportunities on the trail, but it
wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'm sure everyone will be happy if you take the muesli and corn pasta
from the hiker boxes. Don't be shy, take it. Nobody wants it. Same
goes for those peanut butter jars with only a little bit left. Take it!

I think it's better to buy food as you go. The cost of shipping adds
a lot of money to the cost of your food. Look through any store very
carefully. Some supermarkets will have some stuff on sale really
super cheap. I found some stuff like that in Cascade Locks. I think I
got some cous-cous for 10 cents a box. Be really super unpicky and
you might be able to make do.

Good luck. If you can manage to spend two or even eek out three
months, you will still have an amazing experience.