[pct-l] Water Consumption - desert

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 10:56:08 CDT 2011

Over  the years I have noticed that, given the same amount of physical
activity, some people sweat more than others - and some sweat a lot more. I have
never been a big sweater. This is also true of horses. Primo, the Arabian that I
rode on the PCT rarely broke a sweat - not even on long climbs.

Arabians are desert animals, perhaps they have evolved to cool with less water.
Of course during an endurance race (Primo has won several) he sweats a lot to
cool.  And I administer electrolytes, during the vet checks, to replace the lost
salts. This is true of hikers too. If you sweat a lot be sure to replace the
salt as well as the water. And also realize that the amount of water that you
need to carry will vary from individual to individual. If in doubt and are new
to long distance hiking, err on the side of caution and bring more.

MendoRider