[pct-l] Pocket Mail -like device?

Halfmile list at lon.net
Sun Apr 3 22:26:59 CDT 2011

A bit more than the Peak, but around half the cost of iPhones or
Droids ($45 per month unlimited talk, text, data) would be a Straight
Talk Nokia E71:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=e71&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0
It's actually an excellent phone with great battery life.

If he's tech/phone savvy he could buy a LG Ally Droid from Ebay for
$100 - $125 and activate it on Page Plus for $29 a month:
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/
But he would have to act quick to make an Ebay purchase and figure out
how everything works in the next few weeks before his hike. Ideally
something like this would have been purchased a month or two ago. The
Page Plus $29 plan only has 100MB of data, so he would have to be
careful to avoid extra data charges.

Given the time constraints I would go with the Nokia if his budget can
handle it.

-Halfmile