[pct-l] Water Consumption - desert

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Apr 4 12:21:19 CDT 2011

I'll try.

When you are sleeping, you are unconscious and oblivious.

When you wake up in the middle of the night with a full bladder, you
realize it is cold. Now your brain is whirling its gears trying to
figure out how to ignore this urgent situation, and we all know that
the brain is the most energy-intensive of our organs. So you realize
that you're not warm inside your bag anymore, you are cold. Your
brain continues ruminating over how cold it is and how much you dread
getting up to go pee. So you try to go back to sleep. But you can't
because now you are uncomfortable and conscious and fighting with
yourself.

So, after trying and failing to quiet your brain enough to warm up
enough to go back to sleep, you relent and get up to go pee. Don't
matter much if you have to go outside to pee or not. It takes effort
and gets you out of your cocoon of warm feathers and it's something
you really don't want to do.

Now that your bladder is empty, you get back into your cocoon and
there is no nagging urge to spin the wheels of your energy-hungry
brain. You warm up, fall back asleep and into oblivion once again.