[pct-l] finalized total pack weight (hopefully)

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:41:33 CDT 2011

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:11 PM, giniajim <jplynch at crosslink.net> wrote:
> Very good.  Could you share what comprises your base pack weight.
> I'm struggling to get mine below 10 lbs and could use all the help out there.

Hello,

Thanks and sorry for not providing a link...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As-hvbUBJ_X_dHJXU3ZDb2VlOElUczlWS3JaUmNtNGc&hl=en&authkey=CLCE2LAO

Once that page loads, on the bottom click the "Primary Setup" tab.

I was actually 7 oz off on one item - so I am actually at a BPW of 6.17 lbs.

You will probably see a few things on there that make no sense (gasp)
but as I see it, at this pack weight, I am allowed a thing or two that
does not make sense ;)

What I would probably ditch if I *really* cared for XUL would be the:
pad, pillow, balaclava, umbrella, sealskinz - and than I would add in
a GG pad at 1.8 - which would mean I could save 29.8 ounces.

For me I figure I could have either: (1) a 4.8 BPW and suffer a bit,
or I could have (2) a 6.1 BWP and have a few luxuries and extra core
temperature items.

I carry the NeoAir because it is awesome, and I carry the pillow
because I honestly believe that sleep is probably the most important
aspect of life and it helps me sleep beyond what I ever expected and
beyond just stuffing a stuff sack with clothing (odd, I know...
probably physiological), the balaclava I could probably do without for
80% of the trip, the umbrella is (as has been repeatedly discussed) an
item well worth having, and the sealskinz are not for keeping my feet
dry but rather to help me keep my frostbitten toes warm on cold days -
something I learned from a triple crowner a couple years ago. Could I
do away with these five items... sure... but we all face a mental
point where there is a line between safe and unsafe, and I tend to
think that the most unsafe thing I can face on-trail is weather that
turns really bad and me being without the right gear. For me, the
balaclava and sealskinz might weigh 10 ounces, but they provide me
with that peace-of-mind that keeps me in a good state of mind. I know
that with them I can get down into the 10-20(f) temps and stay safe.
Obviously the neoair and pillow and umbrella are nothing more than
pure one-hundred-percent luxury items.

And, I do realize that my food is not going to weigh exactly the same
amount, day after day... so the numbers I listed there are what they
typically are for when I do local hikes.

John