[pct-l] finalized total pack weight (hopefully)

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 02:22:21 CDT 2011

Hey Ate,

We do them the same ;)

I just happen to wear my cap's all day long - thus they are listed as
daily wear. I rarely find a time when I am so hot that I have to
really start pealing the layers off, and even than, I almost never go
short sleeve. Lots more logic of wearing long sleeve shirts in the
Mojave than going short sleeve. Granted the PC3's might be a bit of
overkill for Silverwood through KM. I spent 20 years in Victorville
(and a few years in Big Bear) so I have enough understanding of what
the weather there is like. But anyway, yeah, we both do thing same
way, I just probably approach cloth layering differently.

I calculate my water bottle weight into the overall weight of my
'water' because it is just the way I have always done it. My food bag
is also included in the weight of my food, again, just how I have
always done it.

If we are just a few pounds different I would suspect the main
differences would probably be the backpack and tent setup. Hard to
beat an 8oz backpack and a 12oz tent (with bug insert). In the end the
food will be the main factor for me. I plan to buy most of my food
along the way (for the PCT at least) and therein will result in some
seriously different weights after each town.

John