[pct-l] Food Weight

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Tue Apr 5 14:28:37 CDT 2011

> Steel-Eye
> Only doubled?  You got off cheap.  For me one of the most significant
> resupply shocks is when I leave Mojave with a 38.7 lb. pack; including 10
> lbs. of gear, 13 lbs. of water to get me about 25 miles to a spring, and 16
> lbs. of food to last me about 150 miles to Kennedy Meadows.

Just wanted to say well-said.

I think a number of folks forget this area, focusing on the long
stretch North of KM.

> That load is about 4-times my base weight.
> The good thing is that 38.7 lbs. is only about half of what the
> heavy-truckers average every day.

So true so true. I keep getting folks asking me why I want to go so
light, and therein is exactly the reason. Even on those few days when
I do have to carry an additional x-days worth of food and/or water, my
max pack weight is likely going to be less than their lowest pack
weight.

I think this blog says alot about the matter too.
http://ryanjordan.com/blog/2011/02/futility-going-ultralight-ultralights-sake

Abela