[pct-l] Quilt question. Need advice

Ate Tuna atetuna at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:34:05 CDT 2011

Drafts are the biggest enemy of a quilt.  Not only do you have to worry
about the wind knocking the heat out of the insulation, but you also have to
worry about it getting under the edges of the quilt.  Here's what I do to
get the best out of my quilt when it's going to be a cold night:

I use a puffy cover for my head.  I use a Rayway bomber hat when the
temperatures stay above the high 20's.  In colder temperatures I've switched
to a down balaclava for the coldest part of the night.  A puffy layer will
offer much more warmth than fleece, and the bomber hat is as light or
lighter than anything.

Shake the down out of the edges and into the middle of the baffles.

Tuck the entire length of edges under my body.

If there are cinch-cords at the ends of the quilt, like for the footbox and
neck, make sure they're cinched up completely.

If there are cords that secure the quilt around your body, make sure they go
directly beneath you instead of under your pad.

Move as little as possible, and then very carefully so that drafts are not
brought under the edges of the quilt.

Consider using a bivy with a net hood.  In my case it's mostly to reduce
drafts, but it also provides a cushion of warmer air around your face, which
is very appreciated when the temperature drops into the 20's.

There is some debate about whether a pad should be inside or outside the
bivy.  I haven't noticed a difference, although I stay on top of the pad
better when it's inside my bivy.  If your bivy isn't large enough to
accommodate your pad without allowing your quilt to achieve full loft, you
may be better off with your pad outside of the bivy.