[pct-l] How to reduce pack weight

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 09:47:53 CDT 2011

Snow Bunny JMT Unsupported Reinhold writes: Switchback,.....I will be grazing in the meadow at Lake Morena.....that is, if I'm not skiing in the Sierra that week.  I will be heading to the Sierra this weekend for another week of kiing....Yeeehhaa.....the Sierra is calling me.  BTW.....your  "PRE  STOCKED  CALORIES"  method is a great way of reducing the pack weight but you still have to carry all those pre-stocked calories....besides, you will need bigger pants and a bigger belt to house all those pre-stocked calories.  Now,......my  "GRAZING"  method is far superior because you do not have to carry any of the food....neither do you need a stove, pot, fuel, or a bear canister  You merely graze graze for a little while during rest stops........there are lots of Meadows along the trail.  You might, however, have to carry a few nuts to get you through the desert section.
Switchback replies: Yes, that is a better way to hike the trail.  Just graze as you hike along.  So, the recommendation for the Class of 2011 is not to carry any food.  Just live off the land.  Forage as you go.  Yogi your way to Canada.  No problem.  Plus, this method leaves a lot more room for carrying water.  That is important.  I think Snow Bunny has hit upon something here.

Now if you really, really, really wanted to go light out of the Kickoff at Lake Morena, you could use Switchback's Dehydrated Water.  Come to my Friday seminar at 2:30PM at campsite #22.  I might also demonstrate Switchback's Trail Instant Snow Cones too.  I will also show you Switchback's World Famous One Ounce Hands-free Umbrella Holder -- The Hydration Wonder.

I can now see where you might not have to carry any food or water on your 2,600 mile hike.  Just bulk up a little before you start and live off the land with dehydrated water.