[pct-l] Rehydrating foods

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 9 17:28:36 CDT 2011

I have started dehydrating some foods for my hike including re-fried beans, frozen mixed vegetables, canned chili, spaghetti sauce and jerky.  What I am not clear on is the re-hydrating process.  I assume that as my food is already in a zip-lock bag, I can just add water in the morning and let it rehydrate as I hike along during the day.

What I am most unsure about is the water to food ratio is it 1:1, .5:1, 2:1 or what?

Will the amount of time re-hydrating effect the food, i.e. can I leave the food in water for too long before cooking, again in water, only boiling this time?

Does anyone rehydrate their jerky, maybe mixing it up with instant mashed potatoes or something?

Thanks

 Amanda