[pct-l] Internal frame pack with bear canister

Rob Solorio robsolorio at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 10 12:40:30 CDT 2011

I have been using an REI Wonderland Trekker (external frame) for the last 10+
years and am looking for a new pack this season.  The bulk of my trips are
weekenders but once a year I do a weeklong PCT section hike (Yosemite to Shasta
is our 10-year cumulative goal).  My full pack weight last year was about 45 lb
but hope to start down the light-load path.  I carry a BV500 bear canister which
hung nicely to the bottom of my external so I want to find a comfortable,
lightweight, can-handle-40-lb and a bear canister internal frame pack.

Backpacker has heaped praise on the REI Flash 65 as the greatest all-around pack
but the guy at my local REI said that he much prefers the Osprey Aether 70.  It
weighs almost 2 lb more but he said the comfort of it would more than
compensate.

So, REI Flash 65 or Osprey 70 for my non-ultralight but hoping to get lighter
needs?  Can either or both handle the BV500?  Or another recommendation?
Thanks.

-LoneRiver