[pct-l] Internal frame pack with bear canister

Brandon McGinnity bmcginnity at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 13:36:29 CDT 2011

Don't get the heavier pack. If you're tying to go "down the light-load
path," you'll want a lightweight pack. It's one of the Big Three; pack,
sleeping bag, and shelter. These tend to be expensive, so it's best to wait
till you need a new one to go light. Since you are in just that situation,
might as well buy a light one.

I don't know anything about the packs you mentioned, and will leave that to
someone else to say. All I know is I love my ULA Catalyst pack, very comfy,
plenty of space, i like how it carries, etc. Weighs 2.5 lbs, or so. I could
probably downsize to the Circuit but don't have the funds just now. The
Catalyst carries best at under 40lbs, I'll admit; but for a weekender guy
like you, with the occasional week on the PCT, I'm sure with the help of
this list and other resources, you could easily shave some more weight
without much if any pain.

Having a lightweight pack will help "force" you to pack lighter. I used to
be an external frame guy, did the AT with a cheap, heavy external frame
pack, and all I can say is I'll never look back, never use a heavy pack
again.

--
~ Moccasin