[pct-l] tips for someone just starting?

Alphabetsoup alphabetsoupmmm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 14:57:21 CDT 2011

If your near a Sierra Club Chapter that runs a wilderness basics course, I
recommend you spend the 100 bucks and take the course! you will get
invaluable information out of the 10 week "learn to backpack" course. I am
hiking the PCT for the first time, in fact, its my  first time in the sierra
nevada mountains. When I started to prepare for this adventure, I knew
nothing about backpacking. At one point I did a 5 day hike on the PCT just
to see if I really wanted to do it. I would have had more fun and been much
more prepared had I waited until AFTER this course to venture into the
wilderness alone. The information and the experiences of WBC have given me
an edge, one that I did not have before. I feel much more confident at this
point. I even made a bunch of gear changes as a result of taking the class.

Heres a link to the San Diego north county group: Wilderness
basics<http://sandiego.sierraclub.org/wbc/>

We just had our reunion at Foster Lodge in Mt. Laguna this weekend! Fun
Stuff! There were 86 people in the class, 23 met the requirements for
graduation. Pretty good I would say, considering the commitment that is
required!