[pct-l] Internal frame pack with bear canister

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 16:06:08 CDT 2011

Hey Lone River,

I started last year's thru hike with the Osprey Exos.  At 2 1/4 lbs, it was
a delight.  I loved the air blowing across my back on the few days in the
desert when it was hot, but it didn't hold up, and in 5 weeks the hip
suspension was tearing out on both sides, and several other places were
breaking down as well.  Possibly the need to carry water added up, but I had
nowhere near a 45lb pack even with water.  I don't think it could handle the
weight you hike with.

I took it back to REI and they returned it without a hassle, and I bought
the Osprey Atmos, at 1 1/4lbs more, it is more strongly built.  It worked
fine, but never fit as beautifully as the Exos had to my frame.  But this
pack could handle the gear you are hauling.

Then at the Oregon border, I tried on a friends brand new, ULA Circuit.  I
never looked back, made a call from the trail (thank God we had service) and
had one shipped to Crater Lake.  At 2lbs, it's the most comfortable pack
I've ever used.  No slumping forward.  Putting that pack on just
straightened up my posture amazingly.  And Steel-Eye is correct.  It caused
me to send more stuff home, as there wasn't room, and the lighter weight
overall made it all the more pleasant.  That probably helped with the
posture too.  I don't think it would carry 45lbs very well, and is not
recommended for those kind of weights, but it is soooooo much more fun to
hike with something approaching a day packs weight over long distances.  It
did hold a standard old black bear can horizontally on top in the bag, if
that is important to you.

Good luck,

Shroomer