[pct-l] Internal frame pack with bear canister

Jason Moores jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 00:06:01 CDT 2011

My full pack weight last year was about 45 lb
but hope to start down the light-load path.

I guess that it depends on how quickly you'll be traveling that path. If you
plan to buy more lightweight gear in the near future, hold off on the pack
until you have what you plan to carry. If it will be a slow process and your
plan on buying a five pound pack...

I carried a Aether 70 for several thousands of miles with very few
complaints. Osprey packs are some of the best around. Gregory is another
company that makes excellent "heavy" packs. The Aether's 70 drawbacks, as I
found them to be: Reaching your water bottle can be a hassle unless you are
limber. The volume of the 70 exceeds what the hip belt can handle - the pack
rides comfortably until the 45-50# mark but the belt begins slipping on your
hips with more weight, causing you to have to crank down on the belt until
well past a comfortable point(I have heard this complaint from several
friends that own the pack, also). It's not hard to overload this pack with
all of it's space. All in all the Aether is a solid pack. It will handle
your BV with no problem. Either in the sleeping bag compartment or in the
main body.

If you can get your weight down to the 30-35# mark, and are not ready to
switch to a 2# pack, the Atmos that Shroomer recommended is an excellent
option. Do a shakedown of all of your gear. Take a hike with your current
load. Do another shakedown. Take what is left with you to the REI, load up a
pack or three with yer shit, get a feel for what will work for you. Shifting
to a 60L or 50L will drop the pack weight to a more reasonable level but you
may start hitting issues with your canister with a 45-50L bag, depending on
the design.

Jackass