[pct-l] tips for someone just starting?

Jason Moores jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 00:29:54 CDT 2011

Noel,

Ray Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking" is where I started. I don't agree with
everything Ray has to say but the book will help layout the difference
between a backpacking trip and a thru-hike.

For those who have gone already what was the thing you couldn't have lived
with
out?

Outside of food, water and shelter...not much. More food is always
appreciated.

What did you find to be a waste of space and weigh?

Extra clothing and camp comforts.

Certainly gear is important but nowhere near as important as getting out and
walking. The only way that I know of to prepare yourself for hiking 20 miles
a day is to walk, and then walk some more, and more, and so forth.

Jackass