[pct-l] Internal frame pack with bear canister

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Apr 11 15:04:05 CDT 2011

This is a good strategy.  Another is to get ahold of a Golite Gust type
pack at 19 oz (too heavy for many I know).  It is a big sack with
lightly insulated shoulder straps and a web waist belt.  I've carried a
bear canister in it.

I like the "sack" approach to carrying gear because I bought a very
expensive down quilt and hate the thought of stuffing it.  So, I never
have.  The pack always looks filled because the sleeping quilt takes up
over half the volume.

The closest it's come to being stuffed is when I carried the bear
canister.  Still, there is plenty of room for 12 lb range of gear...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD