[pct-l] Columbia River to border...

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 11 21:44:15 CDT 2011

Good evening, John,

A start NoBo from Cascade Locks in early July will probably be possible
depending upon your appetite for slower travel over snowpack, the associated
navigation aggravations, and the relative loneliness.  A great deal depends
upon how the melt progresses over the next few months.

I live in N. Oregon not far from Mt. Hood and as PCT Mom said most of the
Cascades has received quite a bit of late-season snow.  Look at
http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/ for the daily update of
conditions at Timberline on Hood.  As of today they are reporting a total
seasonal snowfall of 626 inches, with 188 inches on the ground.  For
reference, their average annual snowfall is about 400 inches, with 120
inches on the ground being more typical for this time of year.

 I use http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/westsnow.pl as a good overall
frame-of-reference.  Take a look at the May 1999 report for example:  That
was a significantly heavy snow year and I intended to start late-June and
hike Oregon SoBo starting at Cascade Locks.   I got as far as Lolo Pass on
the NW skirts of Hood when I bagged-it until a re-start in mid-July.  I
could have gone through, but since I live close and had plenty of time
waiting was convenient.

For comparison, look at that same site for April 2011.  The Pacific NW snow
looks to be a bit heavier than average, but I expect when the May report is
posted each of those areas will have bumped-up at least one code-color.

The ability to self-arrest probably won’t be necessary until Goat Rocks,
well up in Washington.  By then some of the snowpack will have come off, but
crossing the head of Packwood Glacier may still be interesting.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09