[pct-l] Gear for sale.

Brendan Beltz brendanbeltz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:10:23 CDT 2011

Hey, thank you. That was exactly the sort of response I was, in my own poor
fashion, trying to elicit. Your negatives all correspond to my doubts, and
your positives to what I'm hearing from other people. Yes, I feel silly for
not being able to test out this kind of gear beforehand. But such is the way
when you decide to do things at the last minute. I'm not particularly
worried about having a less than ideal set-up for 5 months, but as long as I
have time to change it up I may as well be strategic.

I really do like the thing (though I am 6'1) and would love to have it in my
set. But I am wondering if I shouldn't save a bit of that weight. Like you
hinted, I'm not sure the PCT will be throwing enough at me to justify the
bombshelter.

It comes down to me thinking I may want the tarp and beak but not the insert
(it is really well made, but definitely heavy). I'm starting to think I may
get a different insert for bug country/rainy washington. Maybe a bivy, maybe
just a mozzy net.

Have you found much need for the rear wall in practical application during
rainstorms?

Anyway, thanks again for such a great reply.

Oh, and though you offered the most dissuasive recommendation I've seen for
the hexamid set-up yet (you seem to confirm some of my initial concerns on
size - are you 6'+?), how much are you trying to sell it at?