[pct-l] Thru-hiking SOBO plus SOBO Stehekin Tobacco Beta

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 13:21:28 CDT 2011

Bear Can wrote:

"Also, I'm curious about the no entry into the US from Canada policy.  It sounds like although the US seems to be "cracking down" somewhat, almost all SOBO hikers cross the border illegally.  Am I missing something here?"

Not all hikers cross the border illegally!  I've hiked to the Northern PCT terminus twice from the Hart's Pass area.

There are two access point's to the PCT after passing Hart's Pass:  one is a parking lot for unloading horses from stock trucks equipped with a bathroom that (last year) had a small garbage can.  Since this area is quite impacted, it makes a great place to cache a resupply--I buried one here under some trees in an OP sack and had no trouble.

The last PCT access point is at Slate Peak Lookout Tower.  It makes better sense to start here or the Horse parking lot than Hart's Pass due to less backtracking.  Since this year is a big snow year up here, it might not hurt to get a permit to enter Canada and carry a passport just in case of emergency.

If you decide to avoid the illegal Canadian start and want a place to land and crash in Seattle and/or possibly a ride to the North Cascades, please feel free to email me.

Also, if you are a tobacco user please be advised that there are no tobacco products available for sale in Stehekin which comes after (heading SOBO) the Mazama/Winthrop resupply opportunity.

Bear Can also wrote:

"Because I'm recovering from a knee injury and my doctors suggested I wait until June to start my thru-hike..."

The Northern Part of the trail has alot of fairly steep up and down that the Southern Part does not.  What really helped my problem knees was advice from a PT to train my glutes to help do the work on level or uphill (I trained with alot of stairstepping) and getting my quads to help on the downhill.  When walking level, a few strides pretending to roller skate with help isolate the glutes, then just concentrate on having them be engaged as you walk...

Sincerely, Lollygag

Hello everyone,

Because I'm recovering from a knee injury and my doctors suggested I wait until June to start my thru-hike, I've decided to switch to a southbound thru-hike with a start around July 1st.  I'm wondering if you all know of any resources that would be helpful in planning a southbound hike.  I already have Yogi's book, the Pocket PCT, Halfmile's maps, and the guidebooks, but I'm wondering if there's anything specific to southbound hiking I should check out.

Also, I'm curious about the no entry into the US from Canada policy.  It sounds like although the US seems to be "cracking down" somewhat, almost all SOBO hikers cross the border illegally.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Bear Can